The following is extracted from "History of Blackburn" by Wm Alexander Abram, published in 1877
This spacious Church was built in 1819 - 1821, at a cost of £13,000 provided by grant from Parliament aided by private subscription. Its style is decorated gothic, designed by the architect of the Parish Church (Mr. Palmer). Consecrated Sept. 11th, 1821. The edifice is composed of nave without clerestory, north and south aisles ; a short chancel ; vestries ; and western tower. The roofs of nave and aisles are vaulted internally. The length of the nave is 96ft., and the width across nave and aisles 67ft. There are commodious side galleries ; and a noble organ (opened Feb. 27th, 1865, and enlarged in 1874) fills the upper space at the west end, with a gallery for the choir in front of the organ. The great-east window of the chancel is a painted Memorial window given by the late Richard Cardwell, Esq. The clustered columns supporting the nave arches are massive, with moulded capitals.
Sittings 1,432. Patron : The Vicar of Blackburn. Value of the Living £300. Present Vicar, Rev. H. G. Youard, M. A. Former Incumbents :-Rev. T. H. Backhouse, M.A. (1821 - 1828) ; Rev. Chas. A. Hunt, B.A. (1828 - 1839) ; Rev, T. Sharples, M. A. (1839 - 1858) ; Rev. C. W. Woodhouse, M.A. (1858 - 1874).