The following is extracted from "History of Blackburn" by Wm Alexander Abram, published in 1877
St Michael's, a Chapel erected by the Wesleyans was purchased in 1839 and opened as a Mission of the Church of England by license from the Bishop Sept. 29th 1839. This building was consecrated in 1844. A new Church, the corner-stone of which was laid by W. H. Hornby, Esq., Jan. 6th, 1866, was finished in 1869; consecrated Jan. 28th. The new Church is a gothic structure, designed to have when completed a tower and spire 146ft. high rising above the entrance on the south-east side of the Church. The plan includes a nave and side aisles, 72ft. by 51ft.; chancel ; and organ aisle. Cost of the Church £5,000. An organ was placed in the Church in 1875.
Sittings 827. Patron : Vicar of Blackburn. Value of Living £300. Vicar, Rev. J. W. Pengelly (1846 - 1875).