The following is extracted from "History of Blackburn" by Wm Alexander Abram, published in 1877
This Church was projected in 1836, to be built by subscription, and the first stone was laid in January of that year, but the work was delayed, and it was not until January, 1846, that the Church was completed and opened. It was consecrated July 12th, 1846. The architecture is transitional gothic and the design included nave, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, chancel, and western tower and spire. The tower was left incomplete until 1855 ; and the spire yet remains to be added. The site is a conspicuous one on the crest of an eminence. The interior is lofty and effective. Galleries surround the nave and are extended into the transepts.
Sittings 1,474: Patron : Vicar of Blackburn. Value of Living £350. Present Vicar, Rev. W. R. Stephens, M.A. Former Incumbents : Rev. E. C. Montriou, M.A. ; Rev. Edward Parker (1846 - 1850) ; Rev. Christopher Robinson, LL. D. (1850 - 1869).