Photograph supplied by and © of Brian Young
Barton is a small village lying approximately 5miles North of Preston, which is mentioned in the Domesday Book and it is likely that there was a chapel at the Hall from early times. The Hall was inherited by Fleetwood Barton and passed to the Shuttleworth family of Habergham Eaves through her marriage. In 1723 Richard Shuttleworth made the chapel semi-public and a grant was obtained towards its maintenance. An advert in a Preston paper for a chaplain in 1795 indicates that the post included being master at Bilsborrow school. Eventually, in 1850, Barton became a parish but the church was pulled down and rebuilt in 1896 with seating for 350 and is a Grade II listed building. The church has a memorial to the 14/20th King’s Hussars,
The known incumbents are Thomas Duell 1832, John Denby Harrison 1870 and Herbert James Bardsley 1905.