In the chapelry of Colne, is a large manufacturing town at the junction of several streams flowing into Colne Water. In the reign of Henry VII. Barrowford constituted two vaccaries, called Over and Nether Barrowford.
Carr Hall, in this township, was the property of Richard Towneley, of Barnside, in 1760, but is now the seat of Thomas Edward Every Clayton, Esq., the grandson of Colonel Thomas Clayton of Carr, in Barrowford, Esq., a magistrate, a deputy lieutenant, and the high sheriff of Lancashire in 1808. In August, 1835, his son-in-law, Edward Every, of Carr Hall, Esq., obtained the royal permission to take the surname and arms of Clayton.
Park Hill, the residence of a yeoman, was long the seat of the Banasters, a branch from those of Bank and Altham. Richard Banister occurs as of Park Hill, temp. Edward IV.
The church of St. Thomas, Barrowford, erected in 1838, was consecrated in 1841 and enlarged in 1855. It is in the patronage of Hulme Trustees, the present vicar being the Rev. Alfred Freeman Studdy Studdy, presented in 1877.
From: The History of the County Palatine And Duchy of Lancaster, by the late Edward Baines, Esq., A New, Revised, and Enlarged Edition, edited by James Croston, F.S.A., Vol. 3, London, 1891.
Entered here 1 September 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.