AUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of West Derby, the division, polling district and poor law union of Ormskirk, and the barony or wapentake of West Derby. The village is 2 miles S. S. W. of Ormskirk. The parish comprises 5280 statute acres – a portion of it is called Up-Lither-land. There are traces of entrenchments on Aughton Common. Aughton Old Hall was existing in 1400. The Church was existing in 1322, partly rebuilt in the 16th century – living a rectory – value per annum £676 – patron R. Boulton, Esq. The roof is adorned by ancient carvings of arms. There are two Catholic chapels, one of them adjoins the town of Ormskirk. No manorial courts are held. There are about 20 cotton weavers. Population1801, 987; 1811, 1032; 1821, 1279; 1831, 1462. Estimated value of property per annum 1815, £8730; 1829, £9781. The parish is principally on a fertile ridge of land – nearly two-thirds pasture – average rent per statute acre £2.
“A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster (1841)”, by Edwin Butterworth, facsimile reprint 1968, by the ‘Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society’. With grateful thanks to the Society.