Memorial Inscriptions at Church of St John
in the Parish of Atherton
In 1877 the 2nd Atherton Chapel was demolished and the existing parish church built on the site. Burials had ceased there in 1857, but there must have been many graves and memorial stones around the old chapel. However, the large, new church extended almost to its boundaries on all sides (Church Street, Market Place, St John Street and Market Square), presumably covering the old burial grounds. All that remains to show that people were interred here, is a short row of battered, broken stones dumped along the north side of the church next to the old Market Square. Old grave stones are often used to construct paths around, or floors within a church; much of the interior of St John is carpeted, but the there are no old stones in the open, flagged area between the main entry and the pews.
Looking towards Church Street. Photo by Peter Wood, July 2005