St James Free Church of England
in the Parish of Atherton
St James Free Church existed between 1871 and 1889 and appears to have been established by the Rev. James Bower who was previously Curate of Atherton. Little is known about its history or location. According to Tony Ashcroft, Local History Officer at Leigh Library, St James' Free Church of England was situated either at or very near the Laburnums, just off Bolton Old Road. The OS Grid link shows the approximate location only.