Sacred Heart Hindsford
Sacred Heart is on the west side of Tyldesley Road in Hindsford, on the run down from Atherton into Tyldesley. 250m further down, the road crosses Hindsford Brook and climbs up Castle Street onto the Tyldesley "Banks".
The rapidly growing population of Hindsford in the mid 19th century included many Irish Catholics who came to work in the mills and collieries of Atherton and Tyldesley. One of these was John Holland, a manager of the Yew Tree Colliery in Tyldesley. He donated building materials and cartage for the construction of a new RC church on land in Hindsford, donated by Lord Lilford. In 1869 the church was consecrated by Bishop Goss of Liverpool.
A report commissioned in 1999 showed that considerable costs will be incurred in maintaining the church in coming years, and there is concern among Catholics and non-Catholics alike, that the buildings are under threat. The Tyldesley & District Historical Society has joined with Sacred Heart Catholics in a campaign to save this landmark church (as of 2003).
Resources for Sacred Heart Hindsford
Wigan History Shop and Leigh Library hold records of baptisms and marriages 1869-1900.