Primitive Methodist Chapel
Alma Street, Atherton
The chapel was on the east side of Alma Street just north of the intersection with Mealhouse Lane. The church was demolished sometime after 1950. The remaining church hall is now used by Atherton Evangelical Church. A wall plaque on the old church hall dates 1886, but Primitive Methodism came to Atherton some years before that. According to Tony Ashcroft (Local History Officer at Leigh Library) they first met in a house in Howe Bridge, and later used a mission room at Lane Top (where Bag Lane and Leigh Road meet Market Street).
Resources for the Independent Methodist Chapel
Wigan History Shop holds a microfilm of marriages in 1912-1964, from which the data presented here were extracted.