St Mary’s Chapel was opened in a converted house in 1856. During the anti-Catholic ‘Murphy Riots’ in 1868 this chapel and the neighbouring Church of St Ann were wrecked, along with over a hundred houses inhabited by Irish Catholics.
A new Church of St Mary was built on West Street in 1870. In 2003 the Parish amalgamated with St Ann’s and St Mary’s church was demolished.
Photograph supplied by and © of Leslie Beck 2014
Photograph supplied by and © of Mike Berrell