Ashton in Makerfield
A chapelry in the parish of WINWICK, hundred of WEST DERBY, county palatine of LANCASTER, 2-1/2 miles (N.W. by N.) from Newton in Makerfield, containing 5,674 inhabitants.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Winwick.
There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics.
Ashton is a large village lying in the center of a district in which are numerous potteries and cotton-manufactories.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis,Vol.1,London,1831,page 60.
Entered here 29 August 2004 by Lynn Ransom Burton.