ALTCAR, a parish in the hundred of West Derby - and the division, polling district, and poor law union of Ormskirk. The village is 7 miles west south west of Ormskirk. Total acres, 3580 statute. Only one village, Altcar, and no antiquities. A court baron held. Church founded subsequent to 1291, rebuilt 1746 - living a curacy – value per annum £95 – patron Earl of Sefton. No manufactures. Population 1801, 271; 1811, 408; 1821, 499; 1831, 505. Estimated value of property per annum 1815, £3893; 1829, £6726. A partially endowed school. The land is low and marshy, two-thirds pasture: average rent per statute acre £1. 10s.
“A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster (1841)”, by Edwin Butterworth, facsimile reprint 1968, by the ‘Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society’. With grateful thanks to the Society.