ALDINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lonsdale, north of the sands – the manor of Muchland, the liberty of Furness, and the poor law union and polling district of Ulverston. The church is 5 ½ miles S. of Ulverston. Total acres, 4680 statute. The townships, or hamlets, are Upper Aldingham, Lower Aldingham, Gleaston, and Leece, the villages Gleaston, Dendron and Baycliff. The principal antiquities are the mound called the Moot, the ruins of Gleaston Castle, and a cavern at Scales Green. Courts leet and baron are held twice a year. The Church is on the shore of Morecambe Bay, founded prior to 1127, living a rectory, value per annum £1093., patron the Crown. One Episcopal chapel, Dendron, in Gleaston, erected 1642, curacy value per annum £45; patron Rector of Aldingham. No manufactures. Population in 1801, 633; 1811, 696; 1821, 760; 1831, 884. Value of property per annum 1815, £6820; 1829, £6195. Schools two, small. The yearly expenditure on the poor is £167. Limestone and copper are obtainable. Two thirds of the land is arable – average rent per customary acre £2.5s.
“A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster (1841)”, by Edwin Butterworth, facsimile reprint 1968, by the ‘Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society’. With grateful thanks to the Society.