This church was founded in 1895. Building of the current church began in May 1912 and it is now a Grade II listed building. The Church of St Andrew was consecrated in 1913, the foundation stone having been laid by the Earl of Derby in 1912. It has two chancel arch corner stones which were laid by Rev. Canon Rogers and the Rev. A Spencer (former vicars of St James’ Church).
St Andrew’s was formerly a mission from St Peter’s. Services were held in Hyndburn Street, four cottages being adapted. It was constituted a parish in July, 1898, with the Rev. R E Harding as first vicar. A temporary iron church did duty until the present building was erected.