The Parish Church of St John the Evangelist
in the Parish of Abram
See the church website for Abram St John for a more detailed account of the church history. Some information from that site is reproduced here by kind permission of the church.
There has been a Church of England church building in Abram since 1838; prior to this it formed part of the parish of Wigan. The original building, shown in the pictures above and below, was prone to mining subsidence. A meeting was held in July 1907 to consider building a new Parish Church and in December 1907 the bell turret of the old church collapsed, the parish magazine says narrowly missing a lady just entering the church. A new tower was built in a different location and the bell itself was recast adding a considerable amount of metal to its weight (see below) but the incident was instrumental in advancing the idea for a new church to be built.
However, it was not until 1935 that the necessary money had been raised for building to begin. The clock was bought in 1936, to mark the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee the previous year, with money raised by public subscription. The new building was consecrated in January 1937.
The following three photographs are by kind permission of Andrew Meadows. The first shows the interior of the old church; the second, a rare view of the old and new church next to each other; and the third, the current church.