|St James and St Elizabeth, Bickershaw|
The foundation stone of St James and St Elizabeth Church Bickershaw was laid on 9th July 1904 at a service presided over by the Bishop of Liverpool. At this time it was called the Johnson Memorial Church, being given to the people of Bickershaw as a gift of the Johnson family in memory of the late Elizabeth and James Henry Johnson. On the 20th May 1905 the consecration service took place providing the residents of the village with a place of worship.
Until the consecration of the Parish Church of St. James and St Elizabeth, as it became known, regular church services took place in Bickershaw school with weddings, baptisms and funerals taking place at St Johnís in Abram.
The institution of the first vicar the Rev. David Arthur Rowlands, formerly the curate at St Johnís Abram, occurred in December 1905
Picture and text by kind permission of Andrew Meadows
See the church website for St James and St Elizabeth, Bickershaw for a more details about the church.